Services we will provide
Consulting and Advising Services
We work with property owners sometimes from before purchase to assess the risk of coastal flooding of the property. We will identify options to reduce that risk, regardless of the level of that risk
If the primary need is for a stronger coastal dunes system in front of the property, we will develop a plan favoring use of natural and nature based processes. Often this will involve planting natural dune vegetation to build speed Nature along in restoring protection for the property.
Dune Walkovers and other beach access options
Of the most important requirement is to provide a properly designed and permitted dune walkover to protect the dune while providing convenient access to the beach for you and your guests. We will design and help procure and oversee installation of dune walkover that do not used pressure treated wood. We develop premium structures that promise a long free-of care life (50 years plus), and that can be installed with minimal hazard to the environment. They will require minimal maintenance to keep them matching the look and quality of your exquisite property. Lacking splinters and loose, broken, or weakened boards they will keep your liability low. We only develop Dune Walkovers that promise to keep increasing the value of your property over the next 50 years or more.
Dune Restoration and Growth
A dune system providing substantial protection to the rest of your property will occupy a considerable square footage. However, a beach front owner can never have too much dune, too much protection. We design and plant only native dune vegetation to help nature restore the dunes, particularly after storm damage. We also plant native plants to improve the habitat value and visually beauty of the so called gray dunes. Finally we develop programs to identify and remove invasive plants from dune system and replace them with plants that belong there and make a positive contribution.
The Bottom Line
The beachfront property owner who wants to cost effectively reduce the storm related flood risk to their property or to provide safer and easier access to the beach that will improve property value long into the future and improve the aesthetics of the dune should contact the Dune Science Group to explore the possibilities.
Specific kinds of effort undertaken by the Dune Science Group
- Design, development, and maintenance of dune restoration and beach access projects to allow the dunes (particularly on nourished beaches) to use nature or nature mimicking methods to:
- Improve the resiliency of beach erosion, storm protection and all beach nourishment projects
- Increase the dune volume and height to provide increased storm surge protection of property behind the dune
- Develop dunes to provide habitat for endangered species of shore birds, sea turtles, tortoises and other endangered, threatened and endearing species.
- Improve ease of beach access for the public and from private beach front properties cost effectively while improving the ability of the dune to restore itself after storm damage
- Review of potential property purchases on the shoreline to better assess the risk of future flood damage
- Design and develop systems to reduce the risk from storm surge on individual beach properties, leaning first and foremost on natural and nature based options.
- Help promote community involvement and potentially help organize groups of beachfront and other affected property owners to fund, help execute, and/or maintain dune development projects.
- Repair and /or replacement of beach and dock access facilities
- Obtain all required Federal, state and local permits to do any of the above
- Provide expert witness testimony and other legal support in the event actions of others are reducing the value and viability of coastal dunes.
- After successful completion of dune enhancement project which reduces the storm surge risk sufficiently, prepare and promote redrawing of the FEMA Flood Insurance Rating Maps.
- Assistance in preparing grant applications for dune enhancements and beach access projects.
- Monitoring of dune and beach restoration projects using the latest and most cost effective technologies to gather data.